Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Hillary Clinton On Trade Deal: "I Am Not In Favor Of What I Have Learned About It"

The former secretary of state broke with the Obama administration on trade in an interview with PBS NewsHour anchor Judy Woodruff.

PBS NewsHour

Citing concerns over currency manipulation and benefits for pharmaceutical companies, Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday she does not support the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the massive trade deal negotiated by the Obama administration with Japan and 10 other countries.

"What I know about it, as of today, I am not in favor of what I've learned about it," Clinton told PBS NewsHour anchor Judy Woodruff.

The Obama administration along with Japan and 10 other countries announced on Monday that they had reach agreement on the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the largest regional trade deal in history.

Clinton, who in her role as secretary of state played a role in pushing for the TPP, said that from what she knows of the deal, she doesn't believe it meets the "high bar" she has set for an agreement.

"I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the agreement, but I'm worried," Clinton said. "I'm worried about currency manipulation not being part of the agreement. We've lost American jobs to the manipulations that countries particularly in Asia have engaged in. I'm worried that the pharmaceutical companies may have gotten more benefits and patients and consumers fewer. I think that there are still a lot of unanswered questions."

"So for the larger issues, and then what I know, and again I don't have the text, we don't yet have all the details, I don't believe it's going to meet the high bar I have set."

Watch the video here:

PBS NewsHour



Source BuzzFeed - Politics http://ift.tt/1OYKP56

0 comments:

Post a Comment