Trump was a big proponent of preemptive strikes.
Robyn Beck / AFP / Getty Images
Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump says he is being intentionally vague on foreign policy.
"I don't want them to know what I'm thinking, does that make sense?" Trump said in Oklahoma last week. "I want people to be guessing… I don't want people to figure it out. I don't want people to know what my plan is, I have plans. I have plans."
But if Trump's 2000 campaign book, The America We Deserve is any indication, then we already known exactly what his foreign policy would be. Trump devotes an entire chapter is his book to it.
In it, Trump proposes a number of policies, among them are striking North Korea, Iraq, and Iran if they build nuclear bombs and getting tough on China (he doesn't really say how). Trump proposes taking U.S. troops out of Europe and not sending troops to intervene in humanitarian disasters unless there's a clear threat to the United States.
Here are the highlights:
We're flirting with the same kind of mistake now in debating the nuclear nonproliferation treaty. All the major powers may sign such a treaty, but no one will obey it but us. I oppose such agreements for the same reason I oppose gun controls— when weapons are banned, only the outlaws have them.
Many of my friends still wince at the mention of Reagan. They can't face the fact that he proved them wrong about a lot of things. Here was a man dismissed as an amateur and practically a public menace—remember when Reagan was "the cowboy" about to get us into nuclear war?— who was bold enough to announce that the communist world could not only be contained but also defeated. These days they like to ascribe his achievements to luck. But that's nonsense. Nobody's luck is that good. No, Reagan won because he believed in America, and believed in toughing it out, even when under fire from his critics. He had the nerve to craft his policies toward dominance, always with his eye out for the right deal. Reagan recognized in Gorbachev a man willing to shake things up— primarily because Gorbachev was smart enough to see that his country was already well down the tubes. Anybody who believes that the Berlin Wall would have come down if Móndale were elected in 1984 doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.
Source BuzzFeed - Politics http://ift.tt/1FwZEZQ
0 comments:
Post a Comment